Many people wonder, ‘How to deactivate Messenger?’, especially when they find out that deleting their Facebook account does not automatically deactivate the Messenger app.
Why you should delete Facebook Messenger
Facebook Messenger is private, right? Actually, no. The personal information that Facebook Messenger stores is identical to that of Facebook, and it may continue to exist long after your Facebook account has been cancelled. Here are some further justifications for deleting Facebook Messenger:
- Your data is obviously not safe with Facebook as it has previously undergone significant data leaks and breaches;
- Facebook users now fear for their privacy as a result of the Cambridge Analytica scandal, which has smashed Facebook’s market price;
- Messenger on Facebook is not private. Due to its tracking capabilities, absence of a default encryption setting, and failure to encrypt previous chats, it receives a low ranking in our list of secure messaging apps. Additionally, it has access to your contacts, microphone, and camera.
- There are other other, more privacy-focused instant messaging apps available, and Messenger’s source code is not open for independent examination. Additionally, Messenger’s security design is not fully described.
How to deactivate Messenger
We’ll now go over how to disable Messenger. It’s easy to stop Messenger from working. However, you will need to deactivate your Facebook account first if your Messenger account is linked to it.
Both iOS and Android users can deactivate Messenger by following these instructions:
- Launch Messenger;
- In the top left corner, click on “your profile”;
- Follow the prompts on your screen by tapping Account Settings.
- Selecting Account Ownership and Control.
- Tapping Deactivation and deletion
- Selecting Deactivate Account.
- Then tapping Continue to Account Deactivation.
- Just bear in mind that since you cannot deactivate Messenger without also disconnecting Facebook, this step will result in the deactivation of your Facebook account.
Let’s learn how to deactivate Messenger now that you have disabled Facebook:
- launch Messenger
- In the top left corner, click on your profile;
- Click on Legal & policies;
- After selecting Deactivate Messenger, adhere to the on-screen directions.
- Use your username and password to log in to reactivate Facebook Messenger.
Because Messenger is an independent software from Facebook, deactivating your Facebook account will not also deactivate it.
What happens next when Messenger is turned off? Your profile won’t show up in Facebook Messenger’s search results if you deactivate it. You can still see your messages and comments, though.
What happens to communications if you deactivate Facebook and Messenger, then? Well, everyone will still be able to see all of the texts you sent. By swiping up while in a discussion, you can activate the vanish mode, which will cause those messages to vanish after a specific amount of time.
- How to Monetize Facebook Page 2022
- How To Activate Facebook Dating
- How to delete Facebook Account In 2022
- How to delete uploaded contacts on Messenger
Can I delete Messenger without deleting Facebook?
If your Messenger account is linked to your Facebook account, it is not feasible.
If you use a standalone version of the app that isn’t linked to your Facebook account, you can delete the app or use the steps given above to cancel your Messenger account.
If your Messenger account is separate from your Facebook account and you want to delete it, you should:
- Tap Account Settings after tapping your profile photo in the top left corner.
- Enter your password and hit Submit after scrolling down and tapping Delete Your Account and Information.
How to turn off Facebook Messenger
- In the top left corner, click on your profile photo.
- Select Active Status.
- You can toggle your Active Status on or off using the toggle at the top of the screen.
Your status will now read “inactive.” Additionally, you may turn off notifications by
- Accessing Notifications and Sounds
- Activate Do Not Disturb mode.
How to delete your Messenger account
Let’s look at how to remove your account now that you know how to deactivate Messenger. Do the steps to totally remove your Facebook Messenger account on an iPhone or an Android device:
- Click on your profile photo in the upper left corner;
- Click on Account Settings;
- Account Ownership and Control is your option.
- Select Deactivate and Delete;
Choose Delete Account, hit Continue to Account Deactivation, and then adhere to the on-screen directions. Just bear in mind that by doing this, your Facebook account will also be deleted, along with all of your Facebook and Messenger information.
You won’t be able to recover any of your Facebook content once the deletion process has started, nor will you be able to restart your account. However, you can download your posts and photographs before cancelling your account.
A fantastic first step in protecting your social media privacy is to decide to remove Facebook Messenger. To understand how else you may secure your online social life and to learn about other social media privacy issues, if you use any other platforms, it’s worthwhile to read our social media privacy advice.
People May Ask
Q- Can I deactivate Facebook but not Messenger?
A- Even if your Facebook account has been deactivated, you can still use Messenger. Facebook friends can still message you even if you deleted your account; but, using Messenger won’t make it active again.
Q- What happens if Messenger is turned off?
A- With your Facebook Messenger account deactivated, no one will be able to access your profile or send you messages in ongoing chats. Your main Facebook account will also be activated after you reactivate Messenger.
Q- Why am I unable to deactivate Messenger?
A- You must first log out of Facebook in order to deactivate Messenger. If you don’t want to go that far, you can either delete the app or disable your active status. After deactivating your account, you can reactivate it by signing into Facebook or Messenger again.
Q- How can you tell if someone has deleted their Messenger account?
A- Search the type area for the phrase “This individual is not available on Messenger.” You are not blocked if you see this notice in the space where you would typically type a message; instead, the individual has either deactivated their account or Facebook has erased it.
Q- How many times can Messenger be turned off?
A- You are free to repeat it as often as you like. So it’s possible to take frequent breaks from the social media platform. However, if you’ve deactivated more than once, you might need to wait for full activation for 24 hours after logging in.