Although it may sound a little shady, changing your IP address is not only acceptable but also simple and can improve your online security. Learn how to change your IP address on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices using our comprehensive tutorial, or use a VPN to change your IP automatically.
What is an IP address?
Any device on a network can be identified by its IP address, which is a series of digits. To connect with one another across the internet and other networks, computers utilize IP addresses.
Devices, routers, and websites can identify themselves and send and receive information by using their IP addresses, which carry location information.
Why change your IP address?
You can avoid hackers, snoopers, and other types of surveillance by changing your IP address. You’ll gain significant privacy and security benefits by concealing who you are and where you are (basically, your online identity). There are also additional advantages.
You should update your IP address for the reasons listed below (scroll down to learn more about the many kinds of IP addresses):
- Protect your online privacy: Changing your IP address will mask your geolocation, protecting you from hackers, your ISP, and websites that employ web tracking. Protect your online privacy. Changing your IP address will secure your online activities because it can be used to snoop on your private internet traffic.
- Avoid website bans: Some governments impose access restrictions on websites by using IP addresses to identify users. You may avoid detection by government censors, unlock blocked websites, and gain access to a free and open internet by changing your IP address.
- Access regional content: Gain access to regional content: Geo-blocking makes it difficult to stream a game from your favourite sports team when travelling or to view a programme that is only available in a few countries. By tricking websites into believing you are from from an authorized location, you can get past content restrictions by altering your IP address.
- Fix internet problems: New routers frequently assign the incorrect IP address to devices. Your IP address can be manually changed to resolve this issue. It can also aid players who are having jerky gaming.
- Keep in mind that changing your IP address is completely legal. You need not be concerned as long as you are not engaging in illegal activity. You can test it for yourself. People frequently alter or conceal their IP addresses for a variety of factors.
How to change your IP address
Your IP address can be changed using one of four methods. The best choice can help you make the most of your equipment and new IP address, depending on whether you want to increase online privacy or repair your router.
The four ways to modify your IP address are as follows:
Change your IP address automatically with a VPN
Using a VPN to mask your IP address will increase security and help you bypass content restrictions (virtual private network).
You can connect to servers located in particular nations using a VPN. By giving the impression that you are from the location of the chosen server, VPNs conceal your location. A VPN also encrypts all of your data. There are various VPN alternatives available, but stay away from those that are totally free because they can contain viruses and adverts.
Here’s how to use a VPN to alter your IP address:
- Install a reliable VPN, such as Avast SecureLine VPN, on your device.
- Launch the programme.
- Switch the knob to “ON.” Within seconds, you’ll be connected to the ideal remote server.
- Setting up a VPN is quite easy. Here are some benefits and drawbacks to consider if you’re unsure about using a VPN:
|Pros of a VPN||Cons of a VPN|
|Avoid hackers||May reduce connection speed|
|Flow from everywhere||No criteria exist to evaluate service quality|
|Avoid censorship and content limitations||Some companies prohibit VPN connections|
|website tracking dodge||No end to cookies|
|Set up a secure connection||————————————————|
Check your VPN’s functionality if you already use one but your connection is choppy. In addition, make sure to check the best VPN server locations.
Use a proxy server
A VPN and a proxy server are comparable. Proxy servers, VPNs, and even the Tor browser operate as gateways between you and the internet rather than acting as direct connections to websites.
However, a proxy server won’t encrypt your connection, unlike a VPN and Tor.
Your genuine IP address will be changed without any further difficulty when you connect to a proxy, which will give you a fictitious one in exchange.
Reset your router
Your devices might not be able to connect to your router. Resetting your router could provide an immediate repair for routers that occasionally broadcast incorrect IP addresses.
Here’s how to modify your router’s IP address:
- Your IP address can be found; write it down.
- For at least five minutes, unplug your router. Depending on how long it typically takes for your ISP to change your IP address
- Reconnect and check your IP address again; it ought to be different this time. Plug your router back in.
- By tricking your router into believing your device is brand-new, resetting it causes your router to give it a new IP address. Resetting your router can also assist in preventing router hacking on your network, in addition to updating the DNS settings on your router.
|Pros of resetting your router||Cons of resetting your router|
|Your gadget has a new IP address||Limited or nonexistent internet access while disconnected|
|It is free, simple, and rather quick||Possibly not immediately|
Change your IP address manually
You can manually modify it if you already have a new IP address that you want to use. If you receive an IP address that you can manually input, it’s probably a static IP address rather than a more typical dynamic IP address. There are a few ways to enter this kind of IP address, depending on your device.
Here’s how to manually modify your IP address across many gadgets:
How to change your IP address on Windows 10
- Click Start, then click Settings from an administrator’s account.
- Make the Network & Internet selection in the Settings window.
- Click Properties under your local area connection.
- Click Edit under IP assignment.
- Select Manual, enable IPv4, then type the IP address. Next, select Save.
How to change your IP address on Mac
- Click Network in System Preferences.
- Please select your network from the left column. Next, select Advanced.
- Choosing the TCP/IP tab. Choose Manually under Configure IPv4 (IPv4).
- Click OK after entering your new IP address.
How to change your IP address on Android
- Tap Wi-Fi under Connections in the Android Settings menu.
- After selecting your existing network, click Settings (the gear icon).
- Select Static under IP settings. Tap Save after adding your new IP address.
How to change your IP address on iOS
- Choose your network by tapping Wi-Fi in the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap Configure IP in the IPv4 section.
- Select Manual, then type in your new IP address.
|Pros of changing your IP address manually||Cons of changing your IP address manually|
|Relative rapidity of change||Static IP addresses, which are more frequently used when manually defining IPs, are more readily traced and hacked|
|Beneficial for geolocation limitations||Automatic user setup|
|Increased network connection control||—————————————————————-|
Update your IP address automatically
Your IP address will automatically update when you use the refresh button. By using this technique, you may instantly change your IP address and get a new one, which will help you avoid being tracked by hackers and other cybercriminals without the use of a VPN.
On Windows, Android, Mac, and iOS, follow these steps to change your IP address automatically:
Update your IP address automatically on Windows
Press the Win and R keys simultaneously.
- Type CMD into the Run dialogue box. Select OK.
- Enter after typing ipconfig /release, including any necessary spaces.
- Enter the text ipconfig /renew, including any necessary spaces. Command Prompt should be closed.
Update your IP address automatically on Mac
- Click Network in System Preferences.
- Please select your network from the left column. Next, select Advanced.
- Toggle to the TCP/IP tab. then press DHCP lease renewal.
Update your IP address automatically on Android
- Select Wi-Fi under Connections in the Android Settings menu.
- The gear-shaped icon) next to the network you’re now connected to.
- Tap Forget.
- You ought to have a new IP address if you reconnect to your network.
Update your IP address automatically on iOS
- Select your network by tapping Wi-Fi in the iOS Settings.
- Select Automatic from the IPv4 address section’s Configure IP menu after tapping it.
|Pros of changing your IP address automatically||Cons of changing your IP address automatically|
|Relative rapidity of change||Needs manual refreshing|
|Often switches to a secure dynamic IP address||Won’t alter your location, unlike a VPN|
|Does not need a VPN||——————————————|
Types of IP addresses
IP addresses come in a few different varieties, each with a special purpose. Despite the fact that they are all helpful, different circumstances require distinct IP addresses. Making the best cybersecurity decisions for your network might be aided by understanding the differences between them.
The many categories of IP addresses are as follows:
- Public IP Address
- Private IP Address
- Dynamic IP Address
- Static IP Address
Public IP Address
Your internet service provider gives your network router a public IP address (ISP). Your network and the public internet are connected by a public IP address. Your public IP address is used by websites to recognise and connect to your network.
Your ISP can be identified by a public IP address; they use it to track your whereabouts and activity. Your public IP address is also used by websites for web tracking.
Your device’s current IP address can be found by asking Google “What is my IP address,” but as IPv6 addresses are more prevalent now, don’t be startled if you also find an IPv4 address mentioned.
Private IP address
Your network router assigns your device a private IP address. Each device on your network receives a distinct private IP address, enabling all of your devices to communicate with one another without directly accessing the public internet. Like a pair of home keys, a private IP address keeps trespassers out of your gadget.
Dynamic IP address
A dynamic IP address is made for short-term usage. A dynamic address is a method of recycling IP addresses because there are only a finite amount of them available. Your ISP will take back the dynamic address after a set amount of time and choose another one from a pool of available ones to issue to your network.
The most prevalent kind of IP address is dynamic; consumer electronics typically use them. Although dynamic IP addresses vary on their own, it’s useful to know how to update them for increased security.
Static IP address
An IP address that is static is fixed and constant. If your ISP gave you a static IP, you’ll likely have it until your device breaks or your network architecture changes. In general, a company or organization with servers does best with a static IP address.
Although it seems like a top-secret spy method, changing your IP address is simple and legal. But if you want to assure strong privacy and security, changing your IP address alone is insufficient. Use a VPN like Avast SecureLine VPN for real online security.
With Avast SecureLine VPN’s strong encryption, you can keep your online activities hidden from prying eyes like your ISP, boss, hackers, and others. Additionally, you may view your preferred material from anywhere in the world while using public Wi-Fi in safety. To acquire top-notch online privacy, you don’t have to be a spy.
People May Ask
Q- Do you have the option to modify your IP address?
A- The majority of Android smartphones should work with these procedures. select Wi-Fi under Settings > Network & Internet. Tap the network whose IP address you want to modify.
Q- Without a VPN, can I change my IP address?
A- In order for websites and other online resources to see the proxy server’s IP address rather than your own, your internet connection passes through a middleman server. Proxy servers frequently lack encryption, only impact specific programmes, and can leak your IP address in various ways, in contrast to VPNs.
Q- How frequently do IP addresses alter?
A- A DHCP lease renewal occurs every 14 days and functions somewhat like a handshake between an ISP and a home modem. If the connection is still active, the ISP will continue without degrading the customer experience by assigning a new IP address.
Q- My IP is public—why?
A- A public IP address is one that your internet service provider assigns to your network router and may be accessed directly over the internet (ISP). Additionally, your personal device has a private IP address that is concealed while you access the internet using the public IP of your router.